Re: Get rid of cursor in Label

On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 04:21:28PM -0700, Ben Johnson wrote:
> 1) using the mouse, highlight a section of a selectable label.
>   - notice that the cursor is only visible until one character has been
>     highlighted.  dragging further to expand the selection does not
>     cause the cursor to appear again.

This behaviour is identical to any other selectable text in
Gtk+: GtkEntry, GtkTextView.

> 2) clear the highlighted selection by single clicking on a different
>    part of the same label.

Why so complicated?  You can just give the widget focus
using Tab.  It's exactly the same.  It doesn't matter how it
got the focus.

> 3) remove your mouse from the area
>   - notice there is a cursor visible on the label which is serving no
>     purpose

Keyboard focus does not (normally) depend on where mouse
pointer is.  The label is still the focused widget and you
can select text.  So a cursor is present.  I would
definitely not call this `serving no purpose'.

> 4) click on some other widget to change focus away from the label and
>    notice the cursor disappears.

Now a different widget has focus -- if it's a text widget
it's displaying text cursor now.

> it is annoying, but not so bad imho.

It's the correct behaviour.

> Preben, you might try capturing the click and (de-)selection events
> happening on the label...  and during appropriate events attempt to move
> focus away from the label (to a default focus widget for instance).
> That might get rid of the cursor when it shouldn't be there.

Why are you trying to create an accessibility problem? How
would you like if GtkEntries behaved this way?