gtk+-2.6.7 compile problem

Hello all:

I met a problem when i compiled gtk 2.6.7 on RedHat9. I compiled followed the order of GLib, Pango, ATK, then GTK+ which is recommanded in the GTK+ Reference Manual. Glib, Pango, ATK is just ok, but turn to gtk , i met the configure: error: Xft Pango backend is required for x11 target. So  I  installed Xft-2.1.2. and render-0.8, xrender-0.8.3. But the problem is still there, after i searched list , i got the answer is the right compile order is Xft -> Pango -> GTK, so i reinstall Pango with ./configure make and make install, but now the question is when to the make step i encountered make error:

make[4]: Entering directory `/home/frankie/Sharing/GTK/pango-1.8.1/pango/opentype'
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -Wall   -o ottest  ottest.o disasm.o libpango-ot.la -L/usr/local/lib -lfontconfig   -lfreetype
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o ottest ottest.o disasm.o  ./.libs/libpango-ot.a -L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so /usr/lib/libfreetype.so /usr/lib/libexpat.so /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so -lz -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so: undefined reference to `FT_Load_Sfnt_Table'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [ottest] Error 1

what's problem? Anyone can give me some point, thanks in advance.

Already installed packages:
pkgconfig-0.15.0.
glib-2.6.4.
atk-1.9.0.