Re: Fwd: How will cairo influence GTK's performance?

On 7/20/05, Billy Biggs <vektor dumbterm net> wrote:
> Richard Stellingwerff (remenic gmail com):
>
> > FWIW, I noticed that GTK+2 performance is a LOT better on my Ati
> > Mobility 9200 with DRI drivers than my NVidia FX5200 with nvidia
> > drivers. Ati's proprietary drivers are just as slow as NVidia's, at 2D
> > performance.
>
>   How are you measuring this?
>
>   Is there a way you could create a programmatic benchmark (or a command
> line that does not require user interaction)?

User perception. But the difference is so huge, that I can tell with
absolute certainty that it's there. I just can't give you any numbers
to show much faster it is.

Things I notice it with are most notably Mozilla. With ati-drivers and
nvidia-glx, resizing the Mozilla window is pretty slow, ie. the
window's contents lag from its border very notably. Scrolling a huge
page like slashdot (comments section) skips a lot, and just feels
sluggish overall.

With the DRI drivers however, resizing the window is a LOT smoother,
and scrolling trough the entire page is smooth as silk, no matter how
hard I pull that scrollbar :P

Ofcourse, it would be better to have a real benchmark. One such app
that could prove useful here, is GtkPerf (http://gtkperf.sf.net/). I
will run a few tests this afternoon and post the results here, to see
if they match my perception.