Re: how to make radio buttons without default selected? and, how to force all de-selected?

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:25:05AM -0500, Diego Zuccato wrote:
> Ben Johnson wrote:
>
> Why not adding another (maybe hidden?) radiobutton?
> This way you haven't to worry:
> * The user can "deselect" simply by selecting the "None selected" buton
> * If you hide it, you have to programmatically select it (maybe binding
> to keyboard event?) but the interface isn't modified
> * you haven't to write a new widget

good idea.  I'll try it.  Sub-classing the radio button in this case
looks like it won't be too much work, so I'll try that out for practice.
:)

> BUT if it's needed to have a radio group with no selected elements,
> IMVHO there's some deep UI design problem...

you mean needed in an application?  or needed in a widget library?  I
don't care about having a radio button group with no selected elements.
What I want is a group of related toggle buttons in which one or no
elements may be selected.  I think the usage of such a thing is
intuitive to the user.

- Ben