Re: gtk on windows

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 21:20 -0300, Ney André de Mello Zunino wrote:
> Sven Neumann wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but that is not correct. GTK+ on Win32 always uses GDI for
> > drawing (unless you are using an X11 server on Windows which is of
> > course possible but noone does that nowadays).  That doesn't make
> > GTK+/GDK actually use the native controls, it only uses the native
> > lowlevel drawing routines. The theme you are refering to doesn't
> > change that, it just mimicks the look of the native widgets.
>
> Just out of curiosity: why aren't the native controls actually used?
> What is the rationale for drawing everything with low-level routines
> instead of using ready-made elements? I have no experience in UI toolkit
> development, so my question might be naive. Bear with me, but I just
> thought that using native API facilities (e.g. the CreateWindow()
> function) would be easier and produce more consistent results than
> reinventing the wheel.

If you use native controls on every platform, then you end up with
a toolkit with a limited API that can only do what is available on
every platform. Like the original Java AWT. Writing the widget logic
from scratch and just using native routines to draw them is far
more flexible.

(Some toolkits use a hybrid approach where some widgets are native and
others aren't WxWindows is pretty successful example.

Regards,
						Owen