Re: gtk on windows

Sven Neumann wrote:

Sorry, but that is not correct. GTK+ on Win32 always uses GDI for
drawing (unless you are using an X11 server on Windows which is of
course possible but noone does that nowadays).  That doesn't make
GTK+/GDK actually use the native controls, it only uses the native
lowlevel drawing routines. The theme you are refering to doesn't
change that, it just mimicks the look of the native widgets.

Just out of curiosity: why aren't the native controls actually used? What is the rationale for drawing everything with low-level routines instead of using ready-made elements? I have no experience in UI toolkit development, so my question might be naive. Bear with me, but I just thought that using native API facilities (e.g. the CreateWindow() function) would be easier and produce more consistent results than reinventing the wheel.

Any constructive comments and clarification will be appreciated.

Thank you,

--
Ney André de Mello Zunino