gtk+ 2 on xfree86 3.3.6

Hi all,
I must install a software that use gtk+ 2. I have an xfree86 3.3.6 serverX.
I have an old video card and I can not upgrade my xfree86.

When I compile the gtk source I have this error:

checking for x86 platform... yes
checking compiler support for MMX... yes
checking for freetype-config... /usr/local/bin/freetype-config
checking For sufficiently new FreeType (at least 2.0.1)... yes
configure: error: Xft version 2 is required for x11 target

I ask you, it's possible to install gtk2 on an xfree86 3.3.6 ? It's possible to disable the Xft option?
If NO,  any ideas ?

bye Federico.