List question

General, newbie question here:

I'm programming in gtk perl (but I'm also an avid C programmer of
sorts), and, for this custom widget I'd like to program, I'd need to
either:

- capture keys from a list (more specifically left and right keys), or
- cancel the gtk focus change with left and right keys (and also up and
down keys if I were to draw the list myself on a drawingarea), and
instead capture them, or, of course,
- both

I'm a bit at a loss here, since the gtk keyboard focus change using the
arrow keys seems to be a greatly valued good, and I want to capture them
instead in my widget.  Can it be done ?  If so, how ?

Thanks in advance,

KJ