Re: installing glib and gtk - new versions

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:31:14 EST, charles livsey said:

> I'm trying to install new versions of Glib and GTK over old on RH
> Enterprise Linux AS,
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> I'm getting these errors?  Why does Redhat not use these versions?

Because you're not using the version of RedHat software that focuses on
"latest and greatest", but the version that focuses on "stability".

The Fedora tree has 2.6.2 already.  If you want latest-and-greatest,
you should be using that.  If you're running their Enterprise Linux AS
product, then presumably, this is an "enterprise server" - in other words,
a box where *rock solid* stability is more important than "cutting edge".
Remember - we're talking here a box where just putting it into production
may be a 3-month or more process - installing, burn-in, software config,
testing, documenting, making sure everybody from the Help Desk staff to
the Op Center has updated documentation and procedures, back-out plans in
case it goes live and dies.  If you have GTK-based software for an enterprise
system, and it's going live *now*, gtk 2.4.1 was probably current when you
started out - and there's nothing worse for your project timeline than
continually saying "Oh, let's re-do the code to use these new 2.6 features".

No, if you want to deploy it anytime soon, you stick with the 2.4 features
and save the gtk2.6 stuff for the next release of the software.

It's really not RedHat's fault if you're using the wrong version of their
software....