Re: [gtk-list] How can I find out if a program is already running

This is possible using the Xlibrary , that is to say, we need to get the registered handle of any application (if already running) from the X server and if it is not available, we need to register the same so that future instances can find it out by querying X server.
Most of the GUI applications on linux use this mechanism to get the already running instance of the same application so that any future instance can connect to it and present the window again to the user.

-Yash

On 12/9/05, mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp <mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp > wrote:
Hi

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:54:18 +0100
Zoltan Boszormenyi < zboszor freemail hu> wrote:
>I need to find out whether an instance of a program is already running
>and possibly unminimize it or bring it above any other windows, so
>I can prevent an application started again.
>Is is possible using GTK-1.2, or GTK-2.x, and how?

I'm afraid gtk does not have support for that.
I think it's role of task manager for desktop
(possibly you want to know whether the program
is running on same desktop - not on same computer,
and reordering of window is the role of desktop
manager, not GUI toolkit like GTK).
Thus, there might be something helpful in GNOME.
However, I don't know you want to use GNOME or
anything else.

Regards,
mpsuzuki