gtk and image and memory leak

Hello.
I am trying to write simle gtk apllication like screensaver. I have an animated gif of size 3.8 megs with 140 frames. I need simple show this animationa in one window. After application starts, program gets all free memory (300 megs) and runs slowly. I was read all posts contain word "image", "animation" and understand that i need big amount of memory and good CPU. But what is the basic configuration of computer? I need to show in cycle 8-10 animations (animated gifs or jpegs in cycle). And maybe matter is that i am use python gtk?
Thanks for any response.