Re: GtkTextView problem on Windows

Tor Lillqvist írta:
This happens only if I run my program under WindowsMe 'natively',
e.g. I start it from Explorer or from a DOS window. It doesn't
happen if I start it manually from the MinGW/MSYS terminal (where I
compiled it).

A program started from Explorer or a Command Prompt is no more or less
"native" than one started from a MSYS shell. GTK certainly has no way
to find out whether the program was started from Explorer or a MSYS
shell.

What might be different is that you have a different PATH in the two
cases, and get different installed versions of GTK? Please check.

--tml

Thanks for the answer that made me make it work. :-)

I checked, and indeed I have GTK runtimes installed also under
C:\MingW, too. However, the DLLs are the same (both are 2.4.14),
cmp showed no difference between the other installed GTK that goes under
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0".

Moving the GTK DLLs out of C:\MingW\bin makes the program spit
messages, like

** (xxxxxxxxx.exe): WARNING **: Couldn't load font "MS Sans Serif 8"
falling back to "Sans 8"

and the GtkTextView problem appears, when I start my program from the
MSYS shell, too.

So I investigated further. Their gtkrc differs, and replacing it
(or even deleting it) in
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\etc\gtk-2.0"
makes it behave correctly. The gtkrc I renamed there contained
something about 'engine "wimp"'. I reinstalled GTK without GTK-Wimp
and now it works correctly. My app even works installing GTK+-2.6.8,
also without GTK-Wimp.

Thanks for the showing me the direction.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi