Re: Compiling pkgconfig with arm-linux-gcc

Hi, Baurzhan,

AFAICU, I need to tell pkg-config where my headers and libraries are.
Should it Just Work (tm) if I manually supply a *.pc file pointing to
/usr/arm-linux/{include,lib}?
It should work. But pointing PKG_CONFIG_PATH to the right location is better solution (anyway autotools stuff use pkg-config internally, so you can't pass the *pc files as arguments).

By the way, the *right* thing to do when cross-compiling smth is to read "configure --help" first - most packages now want '--host' parameter ('--host=arm-linux-gcc' in your case, probably) to configure and redefining CC is a *very bad* idea...

In which case configure says:

configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.

I've always ignored this message but still wonder what it means. Should
one really use CC=?!!
Cross-compiling usually produces binaries (if you're lucky to get them after the first try ;o) that can't be run on the build system, so this is just a warning.

Some projects use both native and cross compilers. Native compiler can build a tool that, for example, generates a header file which will be used later. In general, you pass --host for the cross-compiler and native compiler is guessed (but you may also want to pass --build to set it by hands, don't remember how this schema is called). It gets harder to get what is cross and what is native when you explicitly pass CC. In most cases the only CC will be used as cross and native compiler.

	Olexiy