Re: problem with libpangoxft-1.0.so (symbol definition missing??)

This is in reply to the original message from September 2004, while trying
to compile gtk 2.6 or 2.4 it looks like I ran into the same problem.
When I looked at the -l flags passed to gcc by configure I noticed that
pangoft2 was not being linked in, and pangoft2 is the library that would
resolve the references gcc wasn't able to resolve.

I don't know why this seems to have only happened to a few of us, I'm running
debian woody with a binary install of XFree86 4.4 installed in place of woody's
XFree86. Perhaps this, or other libraries with multiple versions on the
computer brought this about?

In any case, telling the compiler to always link in pangoft2 is a way to hack
this build problem away. pangoft2 depends on symbols in other libraries,
so I just added all that might be needed to CFLAGS before configuring
gtk and all is well. gtk 2.6.6 configures and builds fine, I also tested that
gtk 2.4.9 at the least configures fine.

My relevant CFLAGS (for bash):
export CFLAGS="-lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0"

--
Chris Frost  |  <http://www.frostnet.net/chris/>