Re: Pango won't compile.

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:54:21 +0200, Den=?iso-8859-1?Q?=EDs_Fern=E1ndez_Cabrera?= said:

> checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config
> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.4.0... no
> *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
> *** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.

And what, exactly, did the config.log say about the error?  It says "see the
file config.log" because unless you already slapped your forehead and yelled a
Homer Simpson "D-oh!" because you *know* what you did wrong, you *will* end up
looking at config.log to figure out your problem....

> The latest glib is suppossedly installed (I did a make install on it,
> successfully). But when I try to search for it, I can only find glib 2.0

Apparently, when you did the 'make install' of glib 2.4.6, it wasn't
as successful as you claim.  Either that, or you installed it into some
location and then totally failed to tell either your system or your build
of Pango where the glib install went.

Unfortunately, without knowing the details of (a) what you *did* do to install
a second version of glib and friends and (b) what you *intended* to do, it's not
possible to bail you out easily.

It's *possible* to install a parallel version of glib/gtk/atk/pango on your
system - however, doing this correctly *does* require you to actually understand
the program developing tools (autoconf and friends, pkg-config, and a
few others).  Trying to do this without understanding your system's tools
is almost certain to result in making a bigger mess.

You may have an easier time just waiting for Fedora Core 3 to come out
and upgrade to it - that way you'll get a prebuild glib2 2.4.6 right out of
the box (along with everything else)