Re: Pango won't compile.

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 02:54:21PM +0200, Denís Fernández Cabrera wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Fedora Core 1 installed, and would like to install the latest
> Inkscape (http://inkscape.org) nightly build, which comes in Autopackage
> format. It says that gtkmm is required, which in turn demands gtk+ 2.4.
>
> I have downloaded the latest gtk+ package and its dependencies. I can make
> and install glib and atk, but pango's configure reports:

[snip]

I'm probably not going to be able to get pango compiling on your box,
but I can offer some advice in terms of upgrading libraries to support
new versions of software that depends on a newer version of a library
than what you currently have installed. Try to find a packaged version
(rpm in your case) of these libraries for your OS ! Google is your
friend... Unless you know exactly what you are doing just doing a
'make' and a 'make install' is not going to work. Your OS is setup
with search paths for libraries which don't include the locations
where a 'make install' normally puts the files (in /usr/local). Nor
should /usr/local normally be included either.

Running make install as root without knowing exactly what files gets
installed where is not a good idea. If you insist on compiling from
source you should setup an area that you have wrie access to as a
normal user (you homedir for example) and then use the --prefix option
to configure to make sure the compiled software is installed there and
not in /usr or /usr/local, Then work with PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
CFLAGS, CCFLAGS, CPPFLAGS and friends to ensure that subsequent builds
that you want to have use your new libraries finds them correctly. Do
this work as a regular user and not as root.

--
Daniel Nilsson