Re: Gtk::TreeView performance

Igor Gorbounov wrote:

John Gill wrote:

[....]
My suspicion is that the treeview is calculating the layout of the renderers within the the fixed width of each column. I'm guessing if there was an option to stop it doing this (since its initial layout is more than good enough for me) that we would see a dramatic speed improvement.

Yes, if it could be possible to freeze the treeview while updating data and only then unfreeze it, then
it would be a performance increase, I suppose.
   Igor Gorbounov

I believe this can be done, but doesn't actually help in this case :(

Eg gtk faqs advise you to disconnect the model from the view whilst loading the model. Whilst this works around some performance issues, it does not solve the one I described. As soon as the model is re-attached the view seems to scan the new contents to re-calculate its size information.

Another option which might work very nicely is only to use the visible rows for size calculations -- this might lead to some jumpiness as you scroll through data, but ought to improve performance dramatically.

Yet another option would be to be able to specify a set of rows to be used for sizing purposes, default would be to use the lot. This together with not recalculating all the layout stuff every time the store is changed would probably solve both our problems.

John