Re: GTK+ 1.x TTF rendering problems with Xorg (FC2)

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 12:29, Andre Costa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is this the right place to ask for help about truetype font rendering
> problems with GTK 1.x apps with Xorg (Fedora Core 2)? It broke after I
> upgraded from XFree86 to Xorg (FC1 --> FC2).

It's not just gtk1 fonts that look bad.  It is any application that uses
the old core fonts mechanism of X11.  It looks to me like they
completely removed the bytecode interpreter that is needed to make the
old fonts look good without anti-aliasing.

> I am really lost trying to figure out which component might be the
> culprit (Freetype, Fontconfig, Pango, GTK+ etc.)...

I believe it is in freetype.  I'm looking how to fix it without breaking
my nice gtk2 fonts.  If I recompiled freetype to enable bytecode
hinting, then things wouldn't look so hot on my anti-aliased fonts.

Michael

--
Michael L Torrie <torriem chem byu edu>