Re: GTK+ 1.x TTF rendering problems with Xorg (FC2)

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:01:37 -0600
Michael L Torrie <torriem chem byu edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 12:29, Andre Costa wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is this the right place to ask for help about truetype font
> > rendering problems with GTK 1.x apps with Xorg (Fedora Core 2)? It
> > broke after I upgraded from XFree86 to Xorg (FC1 --> FC2).
>
> It's not just gtk1 fonts that look bad.  It is any application that
> uses the old core fonts mechanism of X11.  It looks to me like they
> completely removed the bytecode interpreter that is needed to make the
> old fonts look good without anti-aliasing.

Thank God someone else confirmed this -- I was starting to believe this
was a problem with my installation only.

... can you imagine any reason why this would be deliberately removed?

> > I am really lost trying to figure out which component might be the
> > culprit (Freetype, Fontconfig, Pango, GTK+ etc.)...
>
> I believe it is in freetype.  I'm looking how to fix it without
> breaking my nice gtk2 fonts.  If I recompiled freetype to enable
> bytecode hinting, then things wouldn't look so hot on my anti-aliased
> fonts.

Man, my prayers go with you. Please keep me posted if you make any
improvements, and let me know if I can help you anyway. Freetype was one
of the MLs to which I posted this question, but unfortunately I got no
answers.

Best,

Andre

--