Re: problems with glib installation

At Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 02:15:35PM -0800, Jeff Heath wrote:
> I'm trying to install gnome.  Discovered that I needed to update gtk,
> then discovered that I need to update glib, and install pango and atk.

First and foremost, read the installation guide if you haven't already:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.2/gtk/gtk-building.html

> installed glib-2.2.3 and everything seemed to go well, but when I tried
> to install pango-1.2.5, I got the following error message during
> configure (see below).
>
> checking for fontconfig >= 1.0.1... Package fontconfig was not found in
> the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fontconfig.pc'
> No package 'fontconfig' found
> configure: WARNING: No fontconfig found, skipping tests for FreeType and
> Xft

You probably want to install fontconfig, freetype, and xft as well...
although they may be on the system already. Try with
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig before doing
anything drastic.

> checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.1.3...
> *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.2.3, but GLIB (2.0.6)
> *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
> *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the
> error
> *** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
> *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
> *** required on your system.
> *** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> *** to point to the correct configuration files
> no
> configure: error:
> *** Glib 2.1.3 or better is required. The latest version of
> *** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.
>

> It seems that maybe the glib installation didn't go as well as I
> thought.  I'm a Linux newbie, so I'm hesitant to remove the old version
> of glib (as suggested below), nor do I know how to do so.  I did a
> search on files named glib* and came up with about 350.  Lots of them
> glib-2.0 something.

This error says "pkg-config is working fine, but the linker isn't"; so
you can either set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or add /usr/local/lib to
/etc/ld.so.conf (and run ldconfig). I forget which way is recommended.

> Is /root/.bash_profile where I should change the environment
> variable mentioned above?  here's the /root/.bash_profile file:

Instead of "forever", it's also possible to set it for one command:
prompt$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib ./configure

Or for every command until exiting the shell:
prompt$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

--
Chad Daelhousen
My opinions are my own, until UB purchases my soul.