problems with glib installation

I'm trying to install gnome.  Discovered that I needed to update gtk,
then discovered that I need to update glib, and install pango and atk.

installed glib-2.2.3 and everything seemed to go well, but when I tried
to install pango-1.2.5, I got the following error message during
configure (see below).

checking for fontconfig >= 1.0.1... Package fontconfig was not found in
the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fontconfig.pc'
No package 'fontconfig' found
configure: WARNING: No fontconfig found, skipping tests for FreeType and
Xft
checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.1.3...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.2.3, but GLIB (2.0.6)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the
error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable
PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** Glib 2.1.3 or better is required. The latest version of
*** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

It seems that maybe the glib installation didn't go as well as I
thought.  I'm a Linux newbie, so I'm hesitant to remove the old version
of glib (as suggested below), nor do I know how to do so.  I did a
search on files named glib* and came up with about 350.  Lots of them
glib-2.0 something.

Is /root/.bash_profile where I should change the environment
variable mentioned above?  here's the /root/.bash_profile file:

# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
. ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
USERNAME="root"

export USERNAME BASH_ENV PATH

Finally, here's the /etc/ld.so.conf file mentioned above:

/usr/kerberos/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/lib
/usr/lib/sane