problems with Glib installation

I get the following error while installing Pango.

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.1.3...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.2.3, but GLIB (2.0.6)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the
error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable
PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** Glib 2.1.3 or better is required. The latest version of
*** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

I tried setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib and then reinstalling
glib-2.2.3 but I guess it didn't work.

I also ran ldconfig.  That didn't seem to have any effect either.

How do I remove the old version of Glib?

Also, since I got half way through this installation, my normal setup is
fouled up, so I can't use RPM.  The machine boots, X starts, but the rest of
screen doesn't come up (i.e. The RedHat UI, Gnome, etc - I'm not exactly
sure what's hanging up).  I can get to a tty shell, so that's all I have to
work with.

So far, I've installed (or I think I've installed) freetype, fontconfig, and
glib.  I keep getting stuck at Pango.

Jeff Heath