how to get the ft2 bitmap of a font string

Hi all,
How to get the freetype 2 bitmap of any given font string.
I had gone across pango_ft2_render_layout() API.
But failed in using it to a good effect.

Can anyone send me an example code, involving getting the bitmap of a given
font string. If any links breifing about getting bmp from any standard (
OpenType, TrueType) font will be an icing.
Actually i am trying to have bmp for printing purpose.

Thanks in advance.

Bheemesh.