Re: Copyright issue

 --- Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 01:42 +0700, Marc K. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are developing a programming language and wrinting an interface
> > module to GDK/GTK written in C.
> >
> > For easy documentation purposes, the GDK/GTK documentation is
> > embedded in the C source code, viz.:
> >
> > /*) sub foo (bar)
> >     ... documentation copied from GDK/GTK ...
> >     ... our own additional documenation ...
> > */
> > static int some_foo (some self, stuff bar)
> > {
> > }
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > 1. May I do that?
> >
> > 2. If yes, what notice should I add in the files, if any?
> > Perhaps something like: "This file contains material from the
> GDK/GTK
> > library copyright of ...?"
> >
> > If you can not answer this question, perhaps you can tell me whom
> > to contact?
>
> Basically, the license on the inline documentation isn't entirely
> clear. There is a implicit grant of license by a contributor to
> GTK+, but it's never been clear if the license of inline
> documentation
> that is contributed is:
>
>  - The LGPL
>  - The documentation license for out-of-line GTK+ documentation
>    (quoted on http://www.gtk.org/rdp/)
>
> copyright is distributed among many separate copyright holders
> "The GTK+ team and others" can be used as shorthand, but doesn't
> refer to any single legal entity.
>
> Basically, I would advise against copying the GTK+ inline docs
> into your code unless you feel comfortable with the provisions
> of both of the licenses above.
>
> Regards,
> 						Owen

Allow me to expand on this,
this was one of the reasons I join the Gtk+ mailing lists.

I started a binding for the D language
DUI - http://dui.sourceforge.net
and I have similar questions:

1. my logo is derived from the Gtk+ logo. Can I do that?

2. I'm inlining the html documentation into my D code.
Every thing should be fine because I'm releasing DUI under LGPL
but I'm planing to release it also under the zlib license.
again, can I do that?

as Marc K. said, if this is not the right place to ask these
questions where should I ask them?

Thank you,
Antonio Monteiro