Re: Copyright issue

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 18:18 -0500, Antonio Monteiro wrote:

> Allow me to expand on this,
> this was one of the reasons I join the Gtk+ mailing lists.
>
> I started a binding for the D language
> DUI - http://dui.sourceforge.net
> and I have similar questions:
>
> 1. my logo is derived from the Gtk+ logo. Can I do that?

We don't enforce a trademark on the GTK+ logo currently. But I'd
personally prefer you didn't. I think it's just a little confusing/
Most (all?) of the other bindings of GTK+ for different languages
don't reuse/modify the GTK+ logo.

Also, permitting people to modify the logo would harm our case
if we ever did want to apply for trademark protection.

> 2. I'm inlining the html documentation into my D code.
> Every thing should be fine because I'm releasing DUI under LGPL
> but I'm planing to release it also under the zlib license.
> again, can I do that?

Really, you'd have to ask a lawyer to get a definitive answer.
You can't change the license on the documentation, but distributing
it under the current license(s) combined with a zlib-licensed library
may be OK. (The license situation for the docs is frankly murky.
See my previous mail.)

> as Marc K. said, if this is not the right place to ask these
> questions where should I ask them?

This seems like a good place. gtk-list is a right place to ask general-
interest questions about GTK+.

Regards,
						Owen