Re: Copyright issue

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 01:42 +0700, Marc K. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are developing a programming language and wrinting an interface
> module to GDK/GTK written in C.
>
> For easy documentation purposes, the GDK/GTK documentation is
> embedded in the C source code, viz.:
>
> /*) sub foo (bar)
>     ... documentation copied from GDK/GTK ...
>     ... our own additional documenation ...
> */
> static int some_foo (some self, stuff bar)
> {
> }
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. May I do that?
>
> 2. If yes, what notice should I add in the files, if any?
> Perhaps something like: "This file contains material from the GDK/GTK
> library copyright of ...?"
>
> If you can not answer this question, perhaps you can tell me whom
> to contact?

Basically, the license on the inline documentation isn't entirely
clear. There is a implicit grant of license by a contributor to
GTK+, but it's never been clear if the license of inline documentation
that is contributed is:

 - The LGPL
 - The documentation license for out-of-line GTK+ documentation
   (quoted on http://www.gtk.org/rdp/)

copyright is distributed among many separate copyright holders
"The GTK+ team and others" can be used as shorthand, but doesn't
refer to any single legal entity.

Basically, I would advise against copying the GTK+ inline docs
into your code unless you feel comfortable with the provisions
of both of the licenses above.

Regards,
						Owen