Re: RFC: GObject FAQ

Hi,

"David Necas (Yeti)" <yeti physics muni cz> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:30:26AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > It is the maintained stable version and anyone who is actively
> > developing an application these days should use GTK+-2.4.
>
> The premise was true the day 2.4.0 was released as well,
> even though virtually nobody had it installed.  So either
> the implication doesn't hold or ... or you live in another
> reality.  But I do care what my users actually have
> installed.

Well, usually there's a delay between developing an application (which
could mean writing a new application or improving an existing one) and
people using it. So the development version may very well depend on
the latest GTK+ and by the time that it stabilized your users will
have the latest stable GTK+ installed or at least they will find it
easy to upgrade because binary packages are available.

My point is that it doesn't make sense to write any new code for GTK+
2.2 because that's an unmaintained version and if you are going to run
into problems with your new code, noone is going to fix these problems
for you in the GTK+ 2.2 tree.

Sven