Re: Help installing GTK+-2.0 v 2.4.6

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 01:32:55PM -0400, Jeff Lane wrote:

> yes... I was trying to compile the latest gtkpod which required
> gtk+-2.0 v 2.4.0 or higher... and RH only provides up to 2.2.X....
> (IIRC I actually compiled and installed gtk+ 2.4.5)
>
> I ended up using rpms from Mandrake and PLD.org to get the GTK
> dependencies met, then compiled GTK+ 2.4.6, and went from there...

Building RPMs of Gtk+-2.Y (GLib, etc.) if you have RPM of
Gtk+-2.X for your RPM-based distro is usually extremely
simple.  Much simplier than the installation from sources
I see people trying -- and it doesn't lead to multiple
installed versions issues, broken rpm dependencies, etc.

1. install the .src.rpm from your distro, let's say
   gtk2-2.2.4-4.0.src.rpm
2. put the newer tarball into rpm SOURCES directory
3. edit SPECS/gtk2.spec file and change version from 2.2.4
   to 2.4.6
4. run rpmbuild -bb gtk2.spec

If you were lucky, you have a Gtk+-2.4.6 package now.  Next
time, only 2.-4. have to be repeated.

When 4. fails, then the `extremely simple' no longer
applies, however you can try:

- Review patches in the spec file, some might be obsoleted
  by the newer version, and eventually remove them
  (there are two lines for each, PatchN: ... specifying
  a patch file and %patchN ... actually applying it).

- Add relibtoolization (libtoolize --copy --force) to the
  begining of %build, before eventual automake and autoconf
  -- or remove them if present, as it breaks things as often
  as it fixes them due to all imaginable kinds of auto-mess...

  For example, since Gtk+-2.4.4 I had to start
  relibtoolizing on FC2, otherwise library names ended up
  broken.

Hope this helps, I always package new Gtk+ directly to RPMs
with little problems.

Yeti

--
Do not use tab characters. Their effect is not predictable.