Help installing GTK+-2.0 v 2.4.6

Hello all,

I am trying to get GTK+-2.0 installed on a Red Hat AS3 machine.

I downloaded ATK, GTK+, glib, and pango from gtk.org and began the
installation process.

I ran through the configure, make and install of ATK and it worked
perfectly.  I then did glib-2.4.6.  That SEEMED to have gone well, but
I ran into problems when configuring pango.

running configure on pango errors when it gets to glib.  Originally,
it could not find glib at all... so I did this:

#export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

and reran configure.  This time it got a bit further and complained
about finding the correct version numbers, but then finding glib
version 2.2.3 instead.  SO, I uninstalled 2.2.3 and reran pango
config.

This time, I get this error:

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.4.0... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
*** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
configure: error:
*** Glib 2.4.0 or better is required. The latest version of
*** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.
[root singularity pango-1.4.1]#

I am not quite sure what to export to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or what to add
or change to /etc/ld.so.conf to get pango to config.

pango is the last thign I need to start compiling gtk+-2... so could
someome please give me a whack with the cluestick and help me get
pango and gtk+-2 compiled and installed??

Thanks
Jeff
--
                      www.jefflane.org

The internet has no government, no constitution, no laws, no
rights, no police, no courts.  Don't talk about fairness or
innocence, and don't talk about what should be done.  Instead,
talk about what is being done and what will be done by the
amorphous unreachable undefinable blob called "the internet
user base." -Paul Vixie