Re: AIX glib compile error message "gettext not found"

Actually I AM using GNU's gettext with IBM's libiconv. As it's a production system, I can't make changes to existing libraries, though I can install new ones (that's what I'm trying to do by getting "glib" to work). So, I have to make do with libiconv provided by the vendor. Unless, it can be verified that if I install the libiconv from GNU, it won't break ANY existing application. And I don't know how to verify that (or if both can coexist, somehow).

But the point is that as "configure" found out that:

checking for iconv_open... no
checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... no
checking for iconv_open in -liconv... yes
"libiconv_open" is not available but "iconv_open" is, then why didn't it use this one instead of still trying to use the one it didn't find in the first place. To me, it's a bug in "configure". As you can see in the config.log file:

configure:6455: checking if -liconv is needed to use gettext
configure:6457: result:
configure:6459: checking for dcgettext in -lintl
configure:6489: cc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lintl -lico        nv  >&5
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .libiconv_close
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .libiconv_set_relocation_prefix
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .libiconv_open
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .libiconv
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information.
configure:6495: $? = 8
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */

I hope someone could shed a light on this and help me out.

Thanks a bunch,
Salman