Re: AIX glib compile error message "gettext not found"

Salman Mohsin wrote:
Actually I AM using GNU's gettext with IBM's libiconv. As it's a production system, I can't make changes to existing libraries, though I can install new ones (that's what I'm trying to do by getting "glib" to work). So, I have to make do with libiconv provided by the vendor. Unless, it can be verified that if I install the libiconv from GNU, it won't break ANY existing application. And I don't know how to verify that (or if both can coexist, somehow).

Couple of things... First, I think we're getting off topic if we go into the sysadm topic too much here so lets stay focused on GTK.

If GNU gettext requires GNU libiconv you have the option of either rewriting gettext to work with IBM's libiconv (which I assume you don't want to do) or install GNU's libiconv in a separate directory. Since you telling me you are working on a production system I assume you are not running as root and that you are placing all new libraries that you are working on outside the searchpath known to the OS (/usr/lib etc). Unless you update global settings for LD_LIBRARY_PATH or PATH or whatever there is no way any production code should be able to find libraries in your homedirectory under an area set aside for testing glib.

As long as you setup the searchpaths as I described before (make sure you include the local directory where you installed the GNU version of libiconv before /usr/local/lib though) you should be good to go. The beauty of LD_LIBRARY_PATH and friends is just that you can have multiple copies of libraries installed for different processes (or interactive shells for that matter) running on the system.

So go ahead and create yourself a local area separate from shared areas on the system and install the required software there and play with it until your happy. Then you can decide how to integrate it with you applications later.

Daniel