Re: AIX glib compile error message "gettext not found"

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 06:47:10AM -0700, Salman Mohsin wrote:
> I had already tried that and it gave the same result :-(
>
> I posted the output from running configure and excerpt from
> config.log. Can some knowledgeable person who knows these
> intricacies have a look at these and see if there's something
> amiss. Of particular interest to me are the following lines from
> config.log:
>
> configure:6455: checking if -liconv is needed to use gettext
> configure:6457: result:
> configure:6459: checking for dcgettext in -lintl
> configure:6489: cc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lintl -liconv  >&5
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .libiconv_close
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .libiconv_set_relocation_prefix
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .libiconv_open
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .libiconv
> ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information.
> configure:6495: $? = 8
> configure: failed program was:

I'm not that experienced in AIX but it looks to me like you have
either one of these issues:

1. You're using the wrong version of a library that glib depends on.

2. You're trying to use gettext from AIX (what does 'which gettext'
   give you ?) together with GNU libiconv or vice versa. Make sure you
   have libiconv from GNU (http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/) and
   GNU gettext (http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/) and that they
   are found on the paths (linker and executable) before any AIX stuff.

Sorry I can't be of more help... Try some AIX-Gnome or AIX-Mozilla
lists maybe ?

--
Daniel Nilsson