cross compiling glib and glib-genmarshal

Hi all,
i am not sure if this is the right list to post this
question so i apologize if it is not.

I tried to cross compile glib for an arm-based
platform uing arm-linux-gcc on a i686-linux host.
The building process stopped because i didn't have the
binary glib-genmarshal on the host platform.
But this utility is part of the glib itself!
I noticed that for some reason this binary was
produced for the target platform (arm-linux) and not
for the host platform (i686-linux).

So what i did was the following:
I built glib for the host platform (i686-linux) and
installed the binaries in glib-2.4.0/obj.i686.
I updated the path to include glib-2.4.0/obj.i686/bin
(so that glib-genmarshal could be found).

Then i configured and built glib for the target
platform (arm-linux) and the process was successful.

Shouldn't glib-genmarshal be compiled using the host
gcc compiler instead of the target gcc compiler?

thanks,
vlassis