Re: glib install problems

Valdis Kletnieks vt edu wrote:
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 05:40:02 EDT, Anthony DiSante <orders nodivisions com>  said:

Please reply to the list, not to me AND the list.  I don't need two copies.

If you have some clever way for me to determine that you're a subscriber,

No, I don't, but I did explicitly ask for list-only replies, in the original message that you replied to.

configure:21804: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall    conftest.c   >&5
conftest.c:27:18: glib.h: No such file or directory

OK... so glib.h isn't found, so everything else cascades from that.

And glib.h isn't found because there's no -I flag in the gcc command.

What happens if you run 'pkg-config glib --cflags'?  On my system, that
produces: "-I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include" (your paths may of
course vary).

[1818][~]$ pkg-config glib --cflags
-I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include

Hmmm...

As a related question, do most people have multiple versions of glib (and friends) installed? My slackware 8.1 came with version 1.x, at /usr. I upgraded to gnome 2.4 a while ago, which gave me new glib stuff, also at /usr. Now the newer stuff wants to go to /usr/local by default.

Slackware doesn't really have a package manager, and I install everything from source. I can sometimes find packages (rpms, or the dropline-gnome stuff) but they're often not the latest versions. My goal is to be able to upgrade to the latest versions whenever I want -- whether from source or binaries -- but then that gets me two versions of everything, since what I build goes into /usr/local but the binaries go to /usr.

And anytime I try to use --prefix to change the default install location, either the compilation doesn't work, or programs break afterwards.

-Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/
Please reply to the list, not to me, and not to me+list.