Re: glib install problems

Sven Neumann wrote:
The default for installations from source has always been /usr/local.
At least for packages using autoconf/automake. That's why I assume
that your libs in /usr are handled by a package management system such
as rpm or apt. And I suggest instead of compiling from source, you
simply update those packages.

But if I now install 2.4.0 over top of the old stuff at /usr, isn't
that going to break things?

gtk+-2.4, glib-2.4 and pango-1.4 are binary compatible with the
respective gtk+-2.2, glib-2.2 and pango-1.2 libraries, so nothing
should break after an update.

I installed glib-2.4 to /usr, put /usr/lib above /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf, ran ldconfig, then tried to install pango-1.4.0. But it dies during configure with this:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.4.0... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.
configure: error:
*** Glib 2.4.0 or better is required. The latest version of
*** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

Any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks,
Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/
Please reply to the list, not to me, and not to me+list.