Re: gtk 2.4 compilation wants pango 1.2?

> From: Dave Smith <davecindysmith comcast net>
> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:25:33 -0500
> Cc: gtk-list gnome org
>
> On Friday 26 March 2004 10:24, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Dave Reed <dreed capital edu> writes:
> > > On a Solaris 9 system, I installed:
> > > glib-2.4.0
> > > pango-1.4.0
> > > atk-1.6.0
> > >
> > > but when configuring gtk+-2.4.0 I get:

> > > checking for freetype-config... /usr/local/bin/freetype-config
> > > checking For sufficiently new FreeType (at least 2.0.1)... yes
> > > sh: gnome-config: not found
> > > configure: error: Pango 1.2.0 and Xft backend is required for x11 target

> > > I had previously installed gtk+-2.2.2 and it's corresponding glib,
> > > pango, and atk. What do I need to do to get gtk 2.4 to install?
> >
> > You need pango >= 1.2.0 (so 1.4.0 is OK) _with_ the Xft backend. Use
> > 'pkg-config --modversion pangoxft' to find out what version is
> > installed (or rather what version is in your PKG_CONFIG_PATH).
> >
> > Sven
> >
> Hi Dave,
>
> I had a similar problem when upgrading from 2.2.4 to 2.4.0.
>
> When you run ./configure in your pango-1.4.0 directory, look at the output for
> any warnings about not finding "fontconfig" or "xft".  A simple way to do
> this is to redirect stdout to a file - only the warnings and errors will be
> sent to the console ("./configure > /dev/null").  Pango will compile and
> install with these warnings, but it won't generate pangoxft.  Without
> pangoxft, gtk+-2.4.0 will not configure.  I had to install fontconfig-2.2.2,
> freetype-2.1.4, and xft-2.1.1 before building pango to get pangoxft.  You can
> find the sources if you are missing any of these packages at:
> http://freedesktop.org/~fontconfig/release/
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3157
> http://nexp.cs.pdx.edu/fontconfig/release/
>
> Note that these packages can be fussy about which versions will work together
> - you may have to experiment on your system.  There is a copy of xft-2.1.2 at
> the first link, but it will not compile unless your XFree86 is 4.3.0 or later
> - my system has XFree86 4.2.0, so I had to use xft-2.1.1.  I was told (but
> did not experiment with this) that there is a problem with
> fontconfig/freetype in versions of fontconfig earlier than 2.2.2.  There are
> earlier versions of fontconfig at the 3rd link, but not fontconfig-2.2.2.
>
> Pay careful attention to the recommended installation procedure for each - a
> simple "./configure" command may install them in the wrong places.  In my
> case, I used these (recommended for Linux) commands for the 3 packages:
> ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R6
>
> You may also have to add these lines in one of your startup scripts:
>         PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig"
>         export PKG_CONFIG_PATH

I finally got it to compile thanks to Jason Keltz's (jas (at)
cs.yorku.edu) suggestion. I needed to tell xrender where render
installed its include files (see below). So now pango compiled
everything and gtk compiles.

However, now I need to install some fonts on Solaris - I'll have to
look into this sometime. When running gtk-demo I get:

No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

For anyone else having problem, here is what I had to do:

fontconfig
./configure
make
make install

render
./configure
make
make install

xrender
./configure --x-includes=/usr/local/include/X11

font-config-2.2.2
./configure
make
make install