Re: gtk-config needed

gtk-config is not usually used on win32 as far as I know. To build a gtk 1.2 program you need pkg-config. Tell configure to use pkg-config instead by typing something like:

 export GTK_CONFIG="/mingw/bin/pkg-config gtk+-1.3-win32-production"

before you run configure. Also, I've found that pkg-config returns strange version numbers, so configure thinks it has the wrong version of gtk. I configure with --disable-gtktest to turn off the package version check. Finally, you need to use the -mms-bitfields flag if you are using the pre-built windows binaries. I'm not sure if this is necessary for cygwin.

 export GTK_CONFIG="/mingw/bin/pkg-config gtk+-1.3-win32-production"
 CFLAGS="-mms-bitfields" ./configure --disable-gtktest

I'd recommend using msys/mingw rather than cygwin, if you possibly can. msys/mingw will make a binary which can be run on plain windows machines. If you use cygwin, then your users will have to install cygwin too.

There's a gtk-win mailing list which you might find helpful.