Re: why is gtk install so difficult?

Steve Grimaud wrote:
Hi,
I'm sorry, but the statement below by Reuben hits the nail on the head for the "user."
> I tried building a program from source (jpilot) on RH9 (shrike). I
> encountered a "problem" with not finding GTK+ 2.0.0 or higher (although
> I believe it's somewhere on my computer). I then downloaded GTK+; then
> glib, pango, and atk+, since they had to be updated; then pkg-config,
> since it wasn't the most uptodate (according to the other
> configure/make/make install error messages). I know I installed atk+,
> but GKT+ tells me it can't find it.

I give up. You have to have more than a basic understanding of the operating system and general installation procedures for programs to get these all to build and install.

The biggest problem is that an obscure build error means reading and
understanding a heap of things about autoconf/configure, linkers,
versions, pkg-config, and various other things that normal users
don't need for installing binaries. Users just have to accept that
until all the variations in parameters of a system are covered,
they'll have to have *some* detailed system know-how to fix
errors on their own.

If you have library objects and headers in a non-standard location,
then ./configure LDFLAGS=<paths to objects> CPPFLAGS=<paths to headers>

To find the path to atk headers: locate *atk*.h

  /usr/include/atk-1.0/atk/atk-enum-types.h
  /usr/include/atk-1.0/atk/atk.h
  /usr/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkaction.h

To find the path to atk objects: locate libatk*

  /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.a
  /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.la
  /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so
  /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so.0