Re: why is gtk install so difficult?

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 05:16, Steve Grimaud wrote:

> I tried building a program from source (jpilot) on RH9 (shrike). I
> encountered a "problem" with not finding GTK+ 2.0.0 or higher (although
> I believe it's somewhere on my computer). I then downloaded GTK+; then
> glib, pango, and atk+, since they had to be updated; then pkg-config,
> since it wasn't the most uptodate (according to the other
> configure/make/make install error messages). I know I installed atk+,
> but GKT+ tells me it can't find it.

You made things incredibly difficult for yourself here. I think all
you had to do was to run redhat-config-packages, select
"the GNOME Software Development" component, and let it install the
package from the CD.

What the complaint was not that you didn't have GTK+ installed, but
rather that you didn't have the devel package (gtk2-devel) installed.

Most of the Red Hat user interface is based on gtk2, so you couldn't
really not have gtk2 installed.

There's no reason that you have to learn how to build GTK+ from scratch
to be able to program in GTK+, no more than you need to be able to
assemble a car from parts in order to drive it.

Regards,
						Owen