Re: theme question

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 20:20, Tony Denault wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2003, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 22:50, Tony Denault wrote:
> > > I'm using gtk on solaris/sparc, but can't themes to work.
> > >
> > The way that most people would select a theme is, to put in their
> > ~/.gtkrc-2.0
> >
> >  gtk-theme-name = "Metal"
> >

> Tried this - no luck.
>
> > If GTK+ was installed some place other than /usr/local, the
> > gtk-engine's README file explains what to do:

> After I did this, gtk found my themes:
>
>    cd /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/2.2.0
>    ln -s ../2.0.0/engines
>
> So it look like the gtk-engine installed itself in the 2.0.0.

gtk-engines decides where to install itself by running

$ pkg-config --variable=gtk_binary_version gtk+-2.0
2.2.0

So, you must have had an old version of GTK+ in your PKG_CONFIG_PATH
when you configured gtk-engines.

> GTK 2.0 and 2.2 confusion. In many instances 2.2 really acts like 2.0.
> I ran across a similiar problem in the pkg-config utility too:
>    'pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.2' doesn't work but I can
>    use 'pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0' to compile my 2.2 apps.

It's no doubt confusing, but there is some sense behind it:

 Programs for 2.0 still work with 2.0, so we didn't want to
  rename the PC file.

 The directory where themes and modules get installed
  changes to allow both 2.0 executables + 2.0 themes
  (e.g., statically linked executables) and 2.2 executables +
  2.2 themes to work at the same time.

Regards,
                                                Owen