Problem of installation of GTK 2.2.1

I am using a linux box (Mandrake linux distribution version 9.0).
I have downloaded GTK version 2.2.1.

I have problem when installing Glib version 2.2.1.
When I try to install the dependencies packages prior to the installation of GTK, (for example atk 1.2.0 or pango 1.2.1, I have an error in ./configure execution.
It is told that the version of Glib is too old.
However, I have installed Glib version 2.2.1 and it should be ok.
When I execute : glib-config --version, the version 1.2.10 is displayed.
It seems that the initial Glib 1.2.10 installed with the Mandrake distribution is still there.

My questions :
   How can I remove Glib 1.2.10 ?
Are there special options to install Glib 2.2.1 from the glib-2.2.1.tar.gz tarball file ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Hugues MALHERBE.