widget without gtk_style_set_background ?

I have several widgets ( DrawingArea , GtkWindow )  where other X apps ( xawtv, SDL ) redirects their output
via GDK_WINDOW_XWINDOW.

I have a problem that after realizing this widgets draw background ( i think via hardcoded gtk_style_set_background ) which
destroys image drawn by X app.

I tried to connect to expose,focus,configure event and refresh state of X-app , but it doesn't help me .
It's get refreshed but widget draws its background again , and again destroys my image.

Any suggestions , what event I should connect ? or should I use another kind of widget ( with no/transparent background)?

Now I have ugly workaround with gtk_timer , in timeout handler i'm doing refresh , but it's not a solution :-( .