Re: Fuzzy fonts under 2.2.2?

Olaf Frączyk <olaf cbk poznan pl> writes:

> On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 23:31, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> > Ie. antialias, but only when the size is below 8 or above 14. This is
> > an approximation on what windows does. Windows uses extra information
> > in the fonts about when to antialias that is unfortunately not
> > available though FreeType.
> Could you give some more info about it? Maybe the guys which maintain
> freetype could provide this info and pango could use it?

TrueType fonts contain a special table that for a given size tells
whether the bytescodes should be used and whether the font should be
antialiased.  The table is called the GASP table, and is described
here:

http://developer.apple.com/fonts/TTRefMan/RM06/Chap6gasp.html

> Do you know why bytecode interpreter with antialiasing gives this
> result?

Usually because the bytecode is carefully done to give good bitmaps
when you don't antialias.

> How it compares to Windows? I think that they use bytecode interpreter
> and they do antialiasing. Why the effect is different with pango?

Windows does not antialias at normal screen sizes (with the usual
fonts). If you use the fonts.conf file I posted, then you'll get
pretty much identical results to windows.

You can compare Verdana aliased and antialiased here:

        http://www.daimi.au.dk/~sandmann/alias.png
        http://www.daimi.au.dk/~sandmann/antialias.png

Both versions used the bytecode interpreter.

Søren