Re: Fuzzy fonts under 2.2.2?

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 23:31, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> Ie. antialias, but only when the size is below 8 or above 14. This is
> an approximation on what windows does. Windows uses extra information
> in the fonts about when to antialias that is unfortunately not
> available though FreeType.
Could you give some more info about it? Maybe the guys which maintain
freetype could provide this info and pango could use it?

> There are various other possibilities that look good, including
> "antialias, but turn off hinting". As you found out, having *both*
> bytecode interpreter and antialiasing for normal screen-sized fonts is
> just about the worst thing you can do to your fonts.
Do you know why bytecode interpreter with antialiasing gives this
result?
Maybe pango could detect it and disable AA if bytecode interpreter is
enabled? Of course the freetype would have to give some info if bytecode
interpreter is enabled or not.
How it compares to Windows? I think that they use bytecode interpreter
and they do antialiasing. Why the effect is different with pango?

Regards,

Olaf Fraczyk