Re: greek fonts in gtk+-2.0

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Teardrop Sky wrote:

> i went through the mailing list archives, and saw some mention of unicode,
> but no example code to go with it, and was wondering if anyone out there
> might be able to show me a very basic working example of displaying
> greek text with gtk+-2.0, using either unicode or a symbol font.

The format used by gtk+-2.0 is more specifically UTF-8. All strings used
in widgets in 2.0 are UTF-8.

> i'd really like to be able to see a unicode example,

gchar in[]="едц";
gchar *out;
out = g_convert(string,-1,"UTF-8","ISO8859-1",NULL,NULL,NULL);

will convert these three Swedish characters from ISO8859-1 to UTF-8. You
may then assign your UTF-8 string "out" to any applicable field. Note:
replace ISO8859-1 with the Greek (ISO8859-7) or Hebrew (ISO8859-8)
standard font.

These functions are your best friend:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Character-Set-Conversion.html
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Unicode-Manipulation.html