greek fonts in gtk+-2.0

aloha,

(been having problems posting but hopefully this works :)
i spent a couple days now playing with some basic things in gtk+
i'm very new to gtk+, and still a novice in c, but i got
a small labeled app running in gtk+-1.2, which displayed
a label using the adobe-symbol fonts which came with my X install,
so I could use A, B, G, ...W for the greek alphabet to display
text in greek, but when i tried to switch to gtk+-2.0,
i found that all of the font code which i sifted through
from the book i was working out of (gtk+ programming in c (ph/ptr)),
most if not all of the functions and data types were deprecated.
so i spent a few hours reading the api docs and grepping the source
for gtk+2, and could switch the fonts to symbol, but the characters
all showed up messy, and not greek at all.
i used pango_font_description_from_string("Symbol 24") to get the right font,
but the font wasn't right at all, Courier and Sans worked fine
(but in english characters, not greek).

i went through the mailing list archives, and saw some mention of unicode,
but no example code to go with it, and was wondering if anyone out there
might be able to show me a very basic working example of displaying
greek text with gtk+-2.0, using either unicode or a symbol font.

i'd really like to be able to see a unicode example,
if anyone could help, with a hebrew font too would be very cool,
because i'm hoping to write something that can display text from
the bible in the original language, (parsing CCAT files, perhaps).

any references to good information on unicode
and/or gtk+2 using unicode would be very welcome as well,
(i got the charts from unicode.org, but didn't know what else to look for)

thanks,
~teardrop sky