Re: mixing wrap-modes in text view

On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 11:15, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 01:23:19PM +0200, Morus Walter wrote:
> > OTOH I think the zero width nonjoiner (x200C) should allow word wraps at
> > positions where pango would see no word end otherwise.
> > Unfortunately it doesn't.
> > Wouldn't that make sense? Could that be changed in pango?

I don't think ZWNJ is an allowed break position; it's typically
used within a word to suppress a ligature. Try ZWS (zero width space;
U+200B)

> I would expect it to work; see pango/pango/break.c
>
> If it doesn't work I guess we'd have to debug it and see why not.
>
> > > That's not going to work, no. In nowrap mode, no width is supplied to
> > > Pango and no wrapping ever happens. You can maybe put in an explicit
> > > line break though; there's a Unicode character called "LINE SEPARATOR"
> > > that may work.
> > >
> > Ok. But then I would have to calculate widths myself in order to know
> > where to insert the link separator. Not a tempting option.
> >

> I don't really see a good change to the current codebase to address
> this, really. Maybe if you dive into it you could come up with something.

People seem to want to customize beak rules within GtkTextView quite
frequently, for instance, to make URL's single words. It may be that
some general facility for this makes sense, though I don't know what
exactly what it would look like.

Regards,
							Owen