Re: Problems with fast timeouts

>I am poting my application from Windows MFC (where is does happily 5ms timeout
>s) to Linux. I would rather have my application to run on a standard kernel, s
>o what's the solution? Where do I learn about realtime scheduling?

well, the "standard" kernel is about to move to HZ=1000 (2.5 changed
this, when 2.6 comes out, it will be the "standard").

using RT scheduling is a bad idea unless you are actually writing a
genuine RT program (which you are not if you ran it under windows
using a timeout mechanism). if you code goes wrong, you can basically
lock up the entire machine.

if you want to read more, try "man sched_setscheduler".

--p ("all my apps run SCHED_FIFO")