RE: Problems with fast timeouts

You will not be able to guarantee 5ms intervals without patching the kernel
in some manner.  The exception, I believe, is Red Hat 8.0, which runs the
kernel at 512 Hz (??? I think this is true, someone correct me if I'm
wrong.).  I think future versions of the kernel are supposed to run at 1kHz,
meaning within another year, this won't be an issue.

Rich