Help upgrading to GTK2.2

I have a RedHat 7.1 machine with most of the updates installed, and I can't
seem to upgrade to GTK2.2 because of all the dependencies. I'm up on GTK2.0
right now.

Every time I try to install the dependencies, I get an error that libc.so.6
is needec by <package>, where <package> is one of the dependencies or
sub-dependencies for GTK 2.2. But the thing is, it *is* installed and I just
reinstalled it to make sure. I made sure that the path to the libc.so.6 file
is in the ld.so.conf file and re-ran ldconfig, but it still says that I need
that file installed and it's beginning to aggravate me.

Any ideas on how to make it work???
thanks...